Friday, April 8, 2011

Dear Plastic,


I am on to you and your sneaky ways. I have also grown tired of you. I am tired of having to hand wash you multiple times a day. You see, I can't clean you in the dishwasher because you are made from horribly toxic chemicals that when heated tend to leach risking the health of my family. For the same reason, I also can't use you to re-heat our yummy foods in the microwave.

Some of you, I can't even recycle! Seriously, why is that? Where will you go if I can't recycle you? Oh, right, you will go to the landfill or into the ocean, and you will be around forever, reeking havoc on anything and everything that comes near you-air, water, soil...even my children's organs.

You are everywhere I look, everywhere I turn. I can't avoid you. As much as I wish I could, I just can't see how I can completely rid you from my life.

But wait a minute there, before you start getting all high on yourself I have a little news for you. I have been doing research about you, and I've been gaining a lot of wisdom about your corrosive nature. I've become motivated, and even inspired by what I see others doing to rid you from their lives. I've been making changes you see, and by the time I am done, you won't be nearly as essential in my life as I once thought you were.

You are now warned. You are slowly being filtered out.

In fact over at Birmingham Mommy, I have even challenged many others to do the same! There I am spreading the word about you, listing the facts, and hoping to motivate others to see how they too, can lessen their dependency upon you. I am replacing you with glass, aluminum, and tin. And what I can't recycle of you, I am passing along to someone else who isn't yet willing to give you up, someone who is better able to appreciate you and your super duper long life.

So for now, I'll be seeing around. But it won't be so much in my house.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Very clever.

Kayla said...

Amen! I read a great book last year called "the history of stuff" which outlines how our mindless consumption will lead to impoverished futures for our children. We have to start somewhere:)