Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Work Space in A Slow Kitchen


Three days into my Slow Home challenge, and so far, so good! This week, I've begun efforts in the kitchen and have made some great progress in regard to decreasing unnecessary kitchen tools, etc...and in turn have actualy increased my overall storage space. I'm excited about the changes I'm seeing, and I look forward to sharing them with you soon!

Today, I'll be tackeling the kitchen Work Space....

Maintaining clutter-free counter tops is not only asthetically pleasing, but it also helps to promote the overall efficiency in a slow kitchen. In my own kitchen I have a fair amount of counterspace, but sadly it is often cluttered, leading to many challenging mornings (and afternoons and evenings...) when several of us are scrambling to pack lunches, or prepare breakfast within a small amount of available work space. 




Here are my goals to creating an improved Work Space in my slow kitchen:

  1. I'll inventory everything on the countertops (pots of herbs, ceremic jars, fruit bowl, random decorative tray(?), speakers, broken flashlight (that's right), glass spaghetti jar...) and work to minimize the items to only the most essential ones we use on a daily basis.
  2. I'll give the work space a good cleaning, and I'll even get into those tough to reach crevices.
  3. As far as any cooking ingredients (spices, oils, etc...) that are usually left hanging around the stovetop, I'll put the majority of them into the cubburd where they belong. I'll only leave out the essentials: salt, pepper and maybe the olive oil.
  4. At the day's end, I'll stand back and relish in my ultra organized, clean workspace, and stand amazed at the amount of counter space I've gained...hey, I can dream, right?!
Willing to give it a go for yourself?

Kate

No comments: