Monday, September 26, 2011

Week 1 Results of My Slow Home Challenge: The Kitchen



Week one of my twelve week slow home challenge is complete! Last week I began the first challenge, The Kitchen. I'm really excited about the results! For me, it was more then just de-cluttering and cleaning, it was the act of simplifying things in the kitchen that truly helps create a slow space.

It was important for me to keep a space in our
kitchen where the kids could be creative-on their
own. I cleaned up the floor space around
their easel and am now storing most of their
supplies in a nearby cabinet.





As for the rest, I made an effort to minimize duplicate sized pots and pans, appliances, and general cooking tools that all took up precious storage space.
In addition, I switched the remaining items to more sized appropriate cabinets. I
also reduced the overall amount of dishes and glassware. With my children now past the toddler years, we have finally moved beyond the world of plastic dishes and utensils (Read this to see my take on plastic in the kitchen). I picked up some great juice glasses from Ikea that are made with very thick glass. My kids love them because using them makes them feel grown up, and I love them because they gave me the freedom to finally ditch the plastic!

 
Remember this awful (and rather embarrassing) clutter magnet I used to refer to as a "work" space? Amazingly, practically every bit of paperwork piled up here went into the recycling bin. I'd literally been walking by this area for weeks without dealing with this pile. In order to keep the clutter at bay, I deemed this small desk Nate's new homework spot, and placed a recycling bin underneath.
All in all, it was an awesome start to my slow home challenge. I knew the kitchen would be tough, but I can't tell you how great it feels to walk into this space now...I already feel as though we're getting a lot closer to how we want our home to feel...nice and slow.
Here's what I accomplished:
  • I worked on workspace in our kitchen and minimized the amount of items on our counter tops to include the few things we use on a daily basis. I either got rid of the rest, or put them away in cabinets. Doing this helped maximize our kitchen prep/work space, and truthfully, makes the kitchen feel a whole lot more inviting.
  • I reduced the amount of glassware, dishes, and even appliances we keep in our kitchen cabinets. Some of them (the waffle iron, baby food processor, wok, etc...) I put out of sight, on top of the cabinets. As for the rest, (many duplicates) I sent it all off to our local thrift store.
  • I worked to clear as much of the floor space as possible, so that the people (and dogs) can maneuver easily around the room.
  • I addressed food waste, a big issue for many of us, and worked on some ideas to help reduce the litany of leftovers.
  • I maintained a space for creativity and created a space for school work.
  • I also cleaned up the cluttered coffee/tea station, and returned some of my potted herbs to the backyard deck.

Today I begin week two of my Slow Home Challenge, and will focus on creating a Slow Outdoor space for our home. Check back later on today to learn more about my plans and goals for this week.

Looking to get caught up to speed? Check out the following posts about my Slow Home Challenge:






        






1 comment:

LK Whitney said...

Congrats on week one! You're off to a great start!!