Thursday, December 18, 2008

Joyful Season!


Wow, this holiday season in particular is leaving me drained, feeling guilty and a tad bit frustrated. Drained, because I am still unpacking, trying to organize the new house, hand curtains and paintings, do the laundry, grocery shop, bath and feed the kids, spend quality time with them, and prep for Christmas and a few guests who'll be staying here for Christmas....

I'm feeling guilty because I hate spending money on frivolous items for significant people and of course with all that is going on that seems to be what I am doing.

And of course that also leads me to the frustrated part...every year, I swear things will be different. I promise myself I will start thinking of thoughtful, meaningful and sensible gifts for the next Christmas as soon as this one is over. But alas, I just can't seem to learn my lesson. So each year I panic the week before Christmas and find myself waking up in the middle of the night wondering if my sister has already read that bestseller I just bought her?

The other issue on my mind is the amount of material goods we all feel so pressured to buy this time of year...it's insane! After spending about two hours opening up gifts last year, my family decided that things were getting out of control...granted there were 10 of us and 2 of them were the kids, but really, 30+year-old siblings do not need to give each other 10 presents! So hopefully, things will be a little more subdued around here. As my children get older I hope they learn by example that the holiday season is not just about getting, it is about giving as well. And this doesn't mean having to spend money on frivolous items...I am starting to realize that giving of time is one of the most treasured gifts anyone can give or receive.

I hope you are all staying stress free right now and enjoying the holiday in the way it is meant to be enjoyed...with your families and friends...not in long lines at the mall!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Time spent with Nate and Jules is more important than buying gifts, so I'm glad that you are thinking so as well.

Lizzie said...

i love the cute picture in front of the tree :) Jules looks so happy! Hey i gave you a blog award over on my page. come by and claim your prize :) happy Christmas