Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Nana


Last week my Nana passed away. She was 96-years-old and thankfully, died peacefully in the comforting presence of her son and daughter-in-law.

Although we knew for weeks that her death was looming, nothing really could prepare me to deal with the actual reality of it when finally happened. I felt mad that I wouldn't be blessed by her amazing passion and spirit for life any longer, sad that I would never again get to sit and hold her hand or feel the comfort and understanding behind her strong, warm hugs.

But then, I made myself feel the comfort of the amount of relief death must have brought to her. For the past 7 years she struggled with a worsening dementia, a disease that steals a person's abilities to think cognitively, affects their memory, language, problem solving skills, and causes them to become disoriented. In my mind, her death lifted the veil of dementia, allowing her a sense of freedom she hadn't experienced in many years.

I also find comfort knowing that she is once again with her husband, my grandfather who passed away 6 years ago.

What an incredible life she lived. And what an incredible influence she has always been to me, my sisters and my cousins. She is a former librarian, who always shared with us the joys associated with literacy. She and my grandfather were were pridefully involved in community service and volunteering. She also appreciated the strength found in daily exercise. For years she golfed, swam, and walked almost on a daily basis until recently.

Her smile alone always offered the encouragement I needed. If I am able to achieve a small portion of her graceful and optimistic mannerisms, than I will consider myself not only to be lucky, but to be successful in living the kind of life in which she so faithfully believed.

I love you Nana, and am honored to be one of your grandchildren. I consider myself gratefully indebted to you for all that you have inspired.

3 comments:

Jennifer Warthan said...

I'll be thinking of you!

MotheringBoys said...

I am so sorry for your families loss. What a hard time of adjustment. But what an amazing angel you have to watch over you now! Hugs!

teachmama said...

OH, no. I am so very sorry, Kate. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.