Friday, May 14, 2010

Reflection


Last week I received a letter in the mail from the subscription department of my beloved Kiwi Magazine (a magazine dedicated to growing families in the most healthiest ways possible) letting me know that there was an "issue"with my account. Obviously, I was concerned, as I had paid my subscription about 3 months ago, and had a receipt to verify. So today, I finally got online, went to their web site, and quickly grabbed the first contact phone number I could find.

Well, after I rambled on and on for about two minutes, The (very kind) woman on the other end replied that she worked in the editorial department, not the subscription dept., and, although she was very sorry for my troubles, she would be very happy to give me the correct number to call.

So, this is how the rest of the conversation went:

"Oh, that would be great," I responded, a little embarrassed.

"Well, while I have you on the phone," I continued, "I might as well take the opportunity to tell you how much I love the magazine, and how much I look forward to reading the articles. The whole magazine is very inspirational and always leaves me feeling really motivated," I told her.

"Oh, thank you!" she said, "I'll be sure to share that with all of the editorial staff. "Actually," she continued, "I'm the editorial director, Sarah Smith, we're just having a bit of a slow day today so I'm answering phones!"


Oh. My. Word.


Crap, I accidentally called the editorial director of my favorite magazine...
I think my heart skipped a beat. I hung up, and like some crazed teen-ager who just spoke with their idol, I ran around the house, adrenalin surging, looking for a copy of Kiwi. Once one was in my hands, I promptly scanned the pages until I got to the editor's letter...sure enough, there she was, Sarah Smith, Editorial Director of Kiwi, and writer/editorial extraordinaire.

I felt like I had just passed up an opportunity...for what exactly, I still haven't figured out, but now that I have completed my MA in English, I am continually aware of a swirling compilation of thoughts, questions, and concerns dwelling in my head about the path of my own professional future. (For those of you who don't know me, my past career existed in the world of journalism, writing for newspapers, specifically...maybe that will explain a thing or two.
What is IT that I want to do? Where do I see myself in 5 years? How do I make it happen?Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
I hate decisions.
However, today a simple accidental phone call confirmed my dreams...I still want to write, and speaking to someone, who resides in something along my dream position career-wise, confirmed my goals...
I want to write.
I need to write.

I was born to write.
Only I can make it happen.

4 comments:

Elena said...

Yes you do!! You need to finish that book and you need to form another women's writing group. Now call her back, or write to the editor. Tell her you'd like to submit some articles to that magazine. It's right up your alley...food, health, raising children, gardening, writing, sharing, inspiring.

Maggie said...

Oh what a great happenstance for you, Kate ! I agree with Elena, send a note telling them about the accidental connection, and how it has spurred you to not only be reflective, but begin to look for possibilities in fields, such as her magazine. You have nothing to lose.

go Kate

Kayla said...

Sometimes, it is the small serendipitous moment that wakes us right up. I'm now going to pick up a copy of the magazine...I love the idea of sending them a note, just honoring the connection

Unknown said...

Go for it! Only YOU can make it happen!!