Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Earth Day... Every Day


Happy Earth Day everyone!






Earth Day represents so much to me, but one of the things I love most about celebrating the Earth is what it is capable of providing for us. I LOVE to garden. I love seeing things come to life and getting my hands in the dirt. For the past few years I have made great attempts at semi-sustainable gardens, trying to raise a good varieties of vegetables for my family during the summer months. I've had good luck with some things and not so good luck with others. This year started out right on track- seeds in sprouted right up and loved the South Carolina sunshine...all was moving along fantastic until we went away for a week, and in the craziness of packing and wrapping up all the little details, I forgot to leave my poor little seedlings in some water. You guessed it.


I left with these growing strong and healthy...



and came home to this...






Oh, how devastated I was. But not defeated. I was able to save some of them and simply replanted more seeds. And as much as I had hoped to grow my own vegetables from seed this year, I have decided that it will be just fine if I have to pick up a few seedlings from a local nursery. No problems. Stay tuned and hopefully, I'll be able to share with you all of the progress our garden is making!


In the meanwhile, anyone who is just getting started in gardening and wants to keep things simple, check out this site, courtesy of Joy The Baker (By the way, she has the yummiest recipes!) for a great and easy One Pot Garden!



















3 comments:

Head Lima Bean said...

the new farmer's market at the botanical gardens has seedlings for $1 each! it's from 2-7 p.m. every wednesday in the parking lot. (and the awesome bread lady is there too!)

kate said...

Thanks Gwen! I will definately have to check it out next Wednesday. I have been wanting to get to their farmer's market too!

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

I'm also starting a little veggie garden. I know that when good stuff will start to grow I'll see more birds, rabbits, raccoons... every animal would want their share... This is why I plan to do this gradually as I learn more about gardening. But it's a lot of fun.