Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Implementing Montessori

Despite the chaos with our upcoming relocation, I still have to fulfill the awesome responsibility of being a mother and that often includes being a teacher as well.

While Nate and Juliana attend preschool several mornings a week, Pete and I still feel it to be a great responsibility of parenthood to implement daily learning at home as well. With that in mind, and my background working with Montessori, (I worked as an assistant teacher at a Montessori preschool during college) I couldn't think of a better method to apply to our children's daily lives.

What is Montessori?

"The Montessori Philosophy is a way of observing a child, each child individually, to discover his or her unique personality, needs, tendencies and talents; it is respect for each child's choices and interests and ways of processing information and learning; it is a profound respect for and protection of the crucial periods of concentration and contemplation that guide the child and reveal the peaceful, happy human -- kind, generous, focused, hard working, healthy and creative.

The Montessori prepared environment supports free movement in a beautiful and inspiring place. In it the world is introduced with joy, beauty and precise work with the hands and the mind; it is an environment where learning and work are seen as the means to happiness, self construction and a deep love for others and the world.

The high academic achievement that usually accompanies Montessori education is merely a by-product of learning with joy." (Quote from founders of the Garden City Montessori).

While researching Montessori over the last few months, I compiled a list of methods to begin implementing within our parenting of Nate and Juliana.
-Better organization of the home and daily life (routine/structure)

-Continual touching of things is a sign of curiosity and should be encouraged. They need to be taught about things that should not be touched, and should be taught normal discipline and learn self control.

-They learn most from imitating adults and other children.

-Children learn or fail to learn respect for things from our attitude for them.
-Embrace their desire to be independent and to want to do things for themselves.

-Cardinal Rule: Never do for a child what he/she is capable of doing for himself/herself.

-Teach them to learn and think for themselves, rather than their depending on us to do it for them.

-Cardinal Rule: A place for everything, everything in its place.

-Let them make mistakes and try again without your interrupting to show them how.

-During the “learning” period of the day, the only visible activities should be the one(s) your child is working with. And then remove that activity when the child is done working with it.

-Each task must be completed before it is returned to its place. This teaches perseverance and self discipline.

-Only use the learning/school activities during the “school/learning” period of the day so that they are respected as learning tools/activities and not toys.

-Chores/household assignments should be done because they are the child’s responsibility and contribution to the family’s daily living, not because a reward is expected upon completion.
I believe it is my job while they are at home with me, to make sure that their learning these vital skills are done in an enjoyable, loving, honest, creative and successful way.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your kiddos are so lucky to have you as their Mom!! I did read about your move on your blog (I thought I commented??--I don't know, I'm lucky if I remember to eat breakfast in the morning!)Two moves in one year is a lot to handle, not to mention two small children, a husband who is often away, and a thesis that is looming. You've got a ton on your plate, and it's hard to find a balance between it all. Through all these goings on in the coming months, remember to be gentle with yourself. Set aside those feelings of guilt (who needs that extra stress!), and think about the quality of your time with the kids, not the quantity. I often have to remind myself that I am a better mom when I take time to recharge my own soul with something I enjoy (ie. creating). And call on all the support you can. I so wish I could take your kids and give you the gift of a day--it can work miracles! Hang in there, and keep me posted. Hugs!!

kate said...

Thanks so much Michelle. Your kind and encouraging words really mean a lot. I also appreciate the reminder of the idea of quality time verus quantity of time with the kids...I need to remind myself of that more. Thanks again!