Thursday, January 7, 2010

Finding Rhythm

After re-reading yesterday's post about procrastination, I realized that although a lot of the procrastination part of it is true, I am also suffering from a wee bit of disorganization!

The last few years of several moves and changes and plain old craziness around here and there, has left very little room for our family to develop any permanent routines or better yet, rhythm. All afternoon yesterday, I pondered ideas about what I could do to make things flow better for us, and then it dawned on me just how badly I really crave that sense of rhythm in our daily lives. Although we are doing really well overall, our recent multiple transitions have led to lots of change, reinventing, disorder, disorganization, and most importantly, lack of schedule, and or rhythm.

I spent some time last night reading up on developing and setting a rhythm in your family's life, and found several great places to start, including this site where ideas about about repetition, establishing good habits and a sense of knowing all lead to a smooth flowing day and a well slept night. Creating rhythmic methods for mornings, meals and bedtimes is also key.

I am eager to start working toward creating some rhythm for our family, what kinds of routines does your family rely upon?

4 comments:

teachmama said...

Kate,
We are creatures of habit over here, and I was just asked by several readers to post something about our daily schedule--nothing fancy, nothing crazy--just a built-in rest time every day from about 1-2. It's quiet time for kids in their rooms, time for me to breathe, read, or prepare dinner, and it's something I will not waiver on. It's the rhythm I've found that we all need every day--alone time.

Cheers, and happy 2010--
and thanks so much for hosting my button--you are one of the old timers with the 'teachmama' throwback button. :*)

kate said...

Amy- thanks so much for your insight. It's been espcially chalenging for me after a recdent move to a new state. A lot of the disorder stems from our still having much to unpack and make our home organized and functional! It's hard trying to figure out where exactly to start each day when there are so many priorities!

That afternoon quiet time is something that I strayed away from about a year or so ago after my 2 year old stopped taking regular naps. I really need to get back to it, as I think it will help everyone to have some scheduled down time. Thanks again, and I truly LOVE your site, it's been a great source of inspiration for me for a while!

Rob said...

Since I travel so much I call my kids from the road and they tell me three stories about their day. Two of them are true and one story is false. My job is to try to guess which one is made up. We just make a game out of long distance conversation.
I think it may be a fun game to play at the dinner table for folks who have a normal life.
I often tend to joke a bit on you blog but I would like to say that I appreciate your ideas, comments and stories. Your good people sister!

kate said...

Rob- I love your 2 true, 1 false stories idea! I tried it with Ntaea nd Jules at dinner tonight and Nate really got into it! He loved that it was me acting as a "detective" to try and figure ur which story was false! I nkow it must be really tough for you to be so far away from your boys all of the time, but I am so glad to see that you have created some habitual practices that will continue to help you and them bond- awesome idea! And really, I do appreciate your stopping by and adding your input, humorous or not!