Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reaching Out & Making Friends

One day a few weeks ago Nate came home from school and very excitedly told me that a new boy had joined his class. When he told me that like him, the new boy had also just moved here, I decided that I needed to take advantage of reaching out to another family with similar circumstances as ours.

I asked Nate's teacher to pass on a note to the boy's mother, Terri, explaining that we too, had just moved to the area and that I would love to connect with her. It wasn't long after that we began talking, and wow, are our situations similar! Like us, their family has also had to move several times to several different states (for a job) over the last few years. After spending an hour talking on the phone one day, I hung up feeling like I had just undergone a therapy session with someone who really, really knew my frustration, bitterness, exhaustion and sadness. Yet, we also shared one other really important aspect- a desire to prioritize being positive throughout it all, as hard as that can sometimes be! So, yesterday, we got together with Terri and her children and the kids and I enjoyed our first play date/mommy get together since moving to Birmingham.

It was wonderful! While all of the kids played, Terri and I had the chance to get to know each other more and to enjoy a real lunch- one that consisted of foods needing a fork, and other than what I normally sneak off of the kid's plates or have a chance to grab from a box in the pantry!

After four hours, we left to head back home, the kids having spent most of their energy, and I feeling content with the opportunity to have so much great conversation. Jules fell asleep in the car before we even left their neighborhood, and after so much play, we all enjoyed a focused and accomplished afternoon.


Thanks Terri!

No comments: