Friday, August 5, 2011

My Fearless Boy

With school starting in less then a week, I've been trying to do a few extra special activities with the kids...for their sake and for mine as well!


This morning we loaded up the car and headed downtown to the skateboard park across from the city's new and fabulous Railroad Park. We've really enjoyed spending time at this new and incredible green space in downtown Birmingham. But of course it wasn't long before Nate spotted the far more interesting skateboard park across the street. Before I knew it, he decided he needed to add it to his growing bucket list!


On our first visit several months ago, I noticed a sense of fearlessness about him that I hadn't yet seen. The majority of the other skaters and bike riders were much older then him, and had great skills, courage, and some serious speed as well! 


But that didn't intimidate Nate. Nope, even at his young age, he just thought he was one of the guys, doing his thing, just like them.


Over the last few months he's really become quite good. He's able to balance really well, turn his board all around, and even do a few tricks. His latest thing however, is riding down the ramps and half pipes.

I have to admit, I love it! I'm not the average, "I'm going to get freaked out super easily if my child is doing something a little too adventurous" kind of mom. I've been known to be a little bit daring here and there myself!

In fact...there was once a time when I too loved to skateboard. As a "tween" growing up in York, Maine, my friend Casey and I spent all kinds of time riding our very own skateboards, and begging a neighborhood boy to let us ride his half pipe.



Yup, let it be heard here, girls too, can skate! It wouldn't surprise me if one of these days I discovered Juliana hoping on her brother's board. Even as girly as she is, she has that same sense of adventure, that same fire in her belly...



But for now, I'm content with just one of them taking part in extream sports. I'm super proud of Nate, but as a mother I'll admit it...each time I watch him come down that ramp my heart skips a beat!

Here's to that irreplaceable and firey spirit that is present in so many little boys...may my sweet Nate never lose it.

2 comments:

Til next time...Leslie said...

yea Nate! That is awesome. You knew he had a great interest in this sort of thing a few years back and he's great at it! Les

Krista said...

Awesome! So proud of Nate!