Saturday, June 28, 2008

Air Dried Clothes? Come on, that's so 1800's....


Well, I have given a lot of thought to my last posts and I've started making some good changes around here. I am going to begin posting often about the improvements we're making, so I might be able to share some of the discoveries and ideas with you! If there is something that you are doing that you would like to share, please do so! I am keenly interested in your Eco-friendly methods!


One of the biggest changes that I've made has been to stop using the dryer, unless necessary of course. Oddly enough, because of the unusually WARM temperatures (okay not so unusual) here in middle Georgia, our clothes, when hung outside on a drying rack are drying in about 30 minutes time! I have been pleasantly surprised to find just how much I can fit on our drying rack- just a small wooden one. In addition, I was afraid things would come out stiff and wrinkled. But so far, they have come out soft and not too terribly wrinkled. I did purchase some of Seventh Generation's fabric softener). If I have to iron, then so be it. In the mean time, I am contributing to a more Eco-friendly way of life, AND saving our family some of that super expensive energy derived oil! In all honesty, I can't believe I haven't done this before!

Click here to print off valuable coupons for Seventh Generation goods. They have products that range from baby wipes (use em!) diapers, cleaning supplies, detergents, and other household goods like toilet paper, paper towels and trash bags.

Hope you're well!
Love Kate

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

I love Seventh Generation cleaning stuff! I have been using it for years. Shaklee has some amazing concentrated cleaners that i have found to be the best out there. When i was pregnant with Zane i swore off toxic cleaners from my home. Good luck with the drying rack, i might start doing that myself! I was worried as you were they would be all stiff.

Lizzie said...

LOVED the Weelicious site! thanks for the tip!

Elena said...

I have no excuse not to dry my clothes outdoors living in this dry, arid climate of NM! I'm enjoying all the enviro tips and musings. Keep it up.

Maggie said...

As you are well aware, I've used a drying rack for years........But, Aunt Marybeth taught me a valuable trick a long time ago. Honestly, that woman should write a book. I put everything in the dryer for 10-15 minutes, then hang them on the dryer rack, or on hangers. It does eliminate some wrinkles. You can also reverse the process, which is harder. Let towels dry outdoors, then put them into the dryer for a few minutes to soften. This works best when they are ALMOST dry, which is the tricky part.