Monday, June 30, 2008

Potty Training Boot Camp?

At 6 :15 this morning, breeze blowing in my face, leftover rain clouds briskly rolling overhead, I couldn't help but feel exhilarated. I was out running, and wow, it felt good. I got back home, and felt more motivated then I had in days. So, I tried a new egg frittata recipe for the kids, from one of my new favorite web sites (weeliscious.com) and played with Jules for a little while. All seemed GREAT. This is the way to start a day, I thought! Then life began and no one would eat their yummy breakfast, Nate refused to go potty (kicking and screaming as I attempted to bring him to the bathroom) and then finally, 15 minutes later, he peed on the floor. And then Juliana bit Nate. Ohhhhh, can I please go back outside and start this day over again or at least run away for a little while?

So I have had it with the potty issue. We have been working on this for about a year now (he is three now) and I have decided that this is the do or die week. Okay, maybe that sounds a little harsh, but I am not buying any more pull ups. Not. One. More. (Please let me stay true to this). There is no more TV (for the time being) as it appears to be the biggest culprit of distraction for him. I will set a timer to go off every hour so that neither one of us gets too carried away and forgets that this is the PRIORITY this week. Any advice from all of you seasoned potty trainers?

Please pray for me, and of course, for Nate too....we really need it!!!!

Kate

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

I feel your pain Kate, Today nothing seemed to go right. I tried, I really did to keep my cool from sun up to sun down... i swear!!!

As far as potty training, Zane needed to be completely off pull ups except at nap and bed around Nate's age. one day i said "No more!" told him they stopped making them in his size and they were gone. a few ruff days (did the timer thing too, very helpful) and it was done. boys love being naked in the backyard, as weird as it sounds, this helped him know when he had to go and see it as well. So if you have the space, let the little guy be a nudist in the backyard :o) Audrey was a totally different story, she refused to potty train, it took forever. but they all get it hun, i promise. Just keep telling yourself that everyone who graduates college is potty trained. ha ha. Good luck, i know how tough it can be. I remember thinking that potty training should be an Olympic sport and i deserved a gold medal for actually getting it done! Keep your head up.

kate said...

Thanks Liz! Sorry to hear about your day too...maybe the aliignment of the stars was off yesterday or something?! I like the idea of letting Nate go naked in the yard, and we have loads of space to do it, but unfortunately, with the way the heat is right now, we are usually only outside for a small portion of the day...but I will still give it a go! He did much better for the remainder of the day yesterday. I would say he is about 3/4 of the way there total. All we can do is keep trecking along!

Thanks again! Kate

Anonymous said...

Ugh! What a day! Glad to hear you got a run in though...;-) What's up with Nate? Jules biting I get, but Nate peeing on the floor? It must be the dog days of summer getting to him. Good luck this week - I'll be thinking of you guys!

If there's any consolation, reading about it made me laugh here in my hotel room in Xi'an, China! It's nice to read about "events" at home!