Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Please listen to my heart speak....

After watching the nightly news last night, as Pete and I often aim to do, I was suddenly overcome in a way that I haven't been before. A sense of sadness that I haven't felt suddenly crept into my being and took hold of me. Sure, in all of my 34 years, I have seen many horrific world images, heard and read hundreds, if not thousands of stories about the incredible suffering and wrongdoing that occurs throughout our country and our world and have been very saddened by all of these things and more. But tonight, as they spoke of the equally awful events...Zimbabwe's rigged elections, and it's people being beaten and brutalized into voting for the current president....Issues of horrific child rape....and an environmental concern, our climate getting so out of control that a new study proves the outcomes to include life threatening changes in our ever-suffering world: Severe draught, starvation, rising ocean levels, climbing temperatures, and intensifying storm systems, are all just a small part of what the future holds for us, our children and so on and so forth. Then I read my friend Liz's blog and saw this....
Oh, how true you were, George Carlin!



And of course, there is the issue driving everyone (no pun intended) literally crazy....the never-ending, rising gasoline prices. Our insane addiction to oil has actually doubled over the past 30 years. That's it...just 30 years. In 1960, we only relied upon a small 30 % of outside oil sources, and now, today, we depend upon a whooping 60% from other countries. What are we doing? How did we get here and why can't we stop?



So, here I am feeling this intense sadness. It is the realization that I have brought two children into this world, who are completely unknowing, unaware of what their bleak future holds. I know this is shaky ground to walk on here. And in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY am I saying that I regret the decision to have had my beautiful children, only that I feel like we are continually doing them and all others an incredible INJUSTICE. I know that because they live in the land of opportunity, their future will most likely be brighter then other children's in other areas of the world. Yet they will still be faced with the dilemma of solving the inexcusable problems and dilemmas that we have helped and continue to help create for them.

Today as I write this, I feel a sense of anger accompanying the sadness. I am so angry that we live in such a naive and uneducated society, where it is always me, me, me. There is so often a sense of entitlement and laziness. I too, am guilty of acting this way on occasion. But I know that it can't continue, and today is the day that for me, it needs to stop. In order for me to travel into the future of our children's lives without a guilty conscious, it has to stop. No more excuses.

I want to ask any of you who are reading this (if there are any!) to stop here and contemplate what I've said and think about your impact as well. What changes can you make to help prevent the consequences our children will face due to our living so recklessly?

For me, I know that there are a few simple changes I can add to the ones I have already made. I can do anything and everything I can to recycle whatever I am able in this recycling-challenged community. And more importantly, I can begin to be more conscious about the products that I buy and what kind of packaging they come in. I can limit my driving time and gasoline use. I can raise the air conditioner temperature- having it set at 79 degrees is still way cooler than it is outside! I can try to buy more local products. I can ditch the chemicals under my kitchen sink and use more natural products. I can stop running the dishwasher every day! I know there are a ton of other things I can add to my efforts and today I am going to begin my mental list and get going on making them habitual.

Most importantly, I need to start teaching my children that these and many, many other life/planet saving changes are the very necessities that will help ensure that their future is a successful and happy one.

If you made it to the end, then I thank you for taking the time to listen and hear me out. I only hope that the opening of my mind and heart has and or will help to inspire you to do the same! Share your comments with me! I am really interested in what you have to say!

Thanks again, Kate

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

I am so in the same boat as you Kate. I feel bad that so many people just don't get it. We are such a instant gratification society, I want it and I want it now!!! And our kids, unfortunantly, will be that way too unless we as resposible parents work extra hard to teach them right. Every generation had child rearing challenges, and sometimes I feel we have more today. Who knows. But I take it as a personal challenge: I will be the best mom I can be, I will teach my kids right from wrong, I will hold myself accountable for my actions and be an informed adult. In a world full of hurt and saddness we need to make our homes warm and inviting, now more then ever. Man, this mommy stuff sure carries a lot of responsibility!

kate said...

ThanksLiz- it means a lot to hear that you feel the same way! I am having such a hard time with all of this. I hate saying this, but I feel like living where we live makes it extrodinarily hard to be active in any kind of positive movement regarding the climate and living eco-friendly. It's not that it's impossible, as I mentioned there are still loads of things we can be doing, but it's just not community oriented.

You are so right, as mom's we really do have sooo muvh responsibility!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment- as always!!!

Kate

Maggie said...

Well put! I'm proud of you. Mom

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kate. It makes me sad too...even here in China, they've banned plastic bags at stores. And back home, the bagger can't comprehend why we bring our own tote bags! How is China ahead of the U.S. on that?!