Friday, April 18, 2008

In Summer's Honor

Friday, April 18, 2008

I was contacted today about creating a little wooden painted sign to post in some one's garden. No problem, I said, what would you like on it? And then the story behind it unfolded...

There is a family here in town who recently lost their ten-year-old daughter to leukemia, her name was Summer. One of the last things she and her father did together before she went into the hospital was plant a garden full of daffodil bulbs. The bulbs were planted last fall and in the last few weeks an astonishing amount of daffodils have emerged. The woman who requested the sign is a neighbor of Summer's family and thought the garden needed a sign to declare it "Summer's Garden." I am so pleased to be able to participate in the honoring of such a brave little girl.

As a parent, I can't even fathom what it would be like to lose a child, but especially in these circumstances, when she suffered for two long years... The pain of her loss for them, must be unbelievable. But there is more, Summer also has a twin brother. I ask you to keep her family in your prayers as they begin the healing process of the loss of their daughter, but I also ask for you to say an extra prayer for the little boy who will grow up missing his other half.

Thanks, Kate

1 comment:

Maggie said...

That's beautiful ! It made me cry for Summer's family.
Mom