Saturday, May 30, 2009

Thankful

The kids and arrived home this evening from our week long visit with Pete in Missouri. As we pulled into the driveway, windows rolled down, we were greeted by several neighbors who yelled out greetings and asked about our travels. I opened the doors to the car, to let the kids out and across the yard they ran, straight over to where our neighbors and their children stood playing. The neighbors and I stood and chatted for a bit while the kids played and stretched their legs after a long day full of car and airplane rides.

Later, I sorted through the mail and found a fun red envelope addressed to me. What? They usually don't allow fun stuff in our mailbox...okay, just kidding...but it was such a great surprise to find it. My friend, Gwen, who lives just a small 25 minutes away in Columbia, had sent me a great little welcome home note.

I also have tomorrow to look forward to, having my mother spend the whole day with us. She arrived to Fort Jackson this week from NC, where she'll be working as a social worker for the next 7 weeks. It will be great to have her a lot closer than usual!

It was wonderful to be back to our home, to come back to family, and neighbors and friends who are starting to become really good friends, but at the same time, it was also difficult to leave Pete (who'll be in Missouri for another week) behind.

Yet, despite Pete's constant travels, I am trying to focus on the positive. I'm feeling lucky to have a growing list of so many wonderful people around me. And tonight, as I sit and unwind from a long day of traveling, I can't help but keep that at the top of my thoughts.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Gratitude can be so calming and peaceful. I'm glad it's working for you. Neighbors and friends do help, as well.

Head Lima Bean said...

Welcome back! We can't wait to play this week!

Holly said...

So glad to hear you are home safe and sound and that you had a wonderful visit with Pete. Sounds like you are settling well into life there, that is wonderful!!!

Lizzie said...

i am so glad your trip went well, and returning home brought happiness instead of sadness missing your man. i hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)