Friday, June 5, 2009

Dating Again...

Well, after all of these years, I am officially back on the dating scene!

Okay, I'm not really dating, just making new friends and making time to cultivate those relationships...without the kids tugging at my skirt or asking me a question while I'm in mid sentence.

Last night, my friend Gwen, from More Lima Beans! came over after hours (AKA: the kids were in bed) for some tapas (yummy olives, garlic spread, sourdough bread, dark chocolate and cheese and crackers) and good conversation. We sat on our screened in porch, lit candles and listened to the rain storm outside while sipping on cranberry vodka drinks. It was so much fun! We talked about creativity, spirituality, faith and religion, relationships, friendship, our kids, philanthropy, and much more. Four hours later, we couldn't believe how late it had gotten and I couldn't believe how easy it was to just keep sitting there talking.

It made me realize just how long it had been since I had actively made an effort to cultivate a friendship like this outside of play dates with other moms.

How great to be back on the (mama friends) dating scene!

3 comments:

Head Lima Bean said...

hee! that is funny...great minds think alike i guess. looking forward to seeing y'all tomorrow...clare asked today if we could go and see nate. super cute. i think she was jealous that i got to go to nate and juliana's house last night.

Lizzie said...

how fun! i am so glad you had the chance to be just Kate instead of always "mommy" :)

don't forget to come by and ask me a question, i have a special gift for one of the "askers"!

thanks for your sweet comments by the way :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like so much fun! And makes me wish you lived closer!! This 'sans kiddos' time is so important; and isn't it amazing to actually have a conversation without interuption? Sometimes I think I've forgotten how!