Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Re-Focus on Creativity and Learning in our Home

When preschool ended last month it became obvious that there would be an end to the weekly routine to which we had grown happily accustomed. However, while still trying to meet people, make friends and settle into our new community, I grew nervous about the possibility of Nate and Jules having idol time this summer spent sitting or wandering around the house.


With a little inspiration from my super well scheduled and organized friend Gwen, I downloaded some online calendars and began booking up our 80 or so summer days. June has been fantastic. Most weeks we've had something planned nearly every day, but I've also tried to leave breathing room for down time and re-focusing. Here we are at the end of June however, and although we already have some great plans for July scheduled, I am starting to feel that uneasy and nervous sense creeping in- what if I just can't get enough activities planned? I want the kids to have an adventurous, fun, memorable and creative summer, but maybe all of the activities don't need to come from outside of our home. So, with all of this weighing on my mind lately, along with the fact that I am noticing a more evident lack of focus in Nate, I am actively beginning a quest toward providing a more creative and educational home for my children to live and play within.
Having spent a year (a long time ago) working as an assistant teacher in a Montessori preschool, I decided to try and recall many of the methods used in the school to help formulate some self directed activities for Nate and Jules. In other words, my goal is to create a few spaces in our home where the kids can go whenever they'd like and work on learning and or creative activities at their own leisure. The other objective I have here is to begin some serious organization in our home! Since we only moved in a mere eight months ago, we are still in need of that and some serious suiting to the personal needs and character of our family.

Before I lose you with my rambling and loosely constructed train of thought, let me re-state my concerns and hopes here:


1. To work on compiling an assortment of activities, educational, and otherwise creative, that the kids and I can rely upon to keep us busy, and actively focused while we are at home.

2. To better suit our home (and abilities) to that of a more creative and continual learning environment.


I want our home to be a peaceful and relaxing place for our family, but especially in these early years for the kids, I also want it to be a place where they feel comfortable enough to explore their own creativity and are encouraged to participate in daily learning.
I am excited to begin this process and even more so to be able to document it here and share it with all of you! I hope you'll check back often to see updates on our plans and progress. I also welcome and suggestions on how you have integrated creativity and learning in your own home.
Thanks, Kate


2 comments:

Lizzie said...

we have been doing fun summer worksheets and lots of outdoor hands on learning around our place. good luck, i can't wait to hear how everything goes.

OH and i WOULD LOVE for us to get together while i am out in SC!!!! we'll be there july 6-13. Saturday the 11th i'll be in myrtle beach. other then that i'll be available! let's try and work this out :)

Madame Melville said...

I have that same book! It's a great resource for ideas. We have a little Montessori shelf in the house where I rotate these things. I try to keep it fairly fresh. Thrift stores are a great place to find fun and interesting things to stock it with.

I'm now home as well with the wee ones for the summer now that preschool closed. I'm trying to look forward to it as a great chance to spend some quality relaxed time with them. I'm a homebody so spend a lot of time at home. I do make an effort most evenings to think of at least one thing to do the next day. Often just a new color of playdough on the kitchen table in the morning provides over an hour of creative play. Something else I do is set up scenes with their toys. Once day it might be all the construction vehicles, the next day all the farm animals and farm trucks.... They LOVE this. Whenever I "invest" the evening time to do this, I am always rewarded by some good quality creative play (and downtime for me!!)

I'll be interested in checking in with you for some ideas as well. I need some new ones (: