Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Walk in the Woods

We arrived to our first trail by way of the US Forest Service Road late Friday evening- a little bit too late to hike the two miles (we (I) had miscalculated) that led us to the actual campsite (clearing in the grass) on the Appalachian Trail...

So, we made do. As the last bits of daylight faded around us, we acted quickly and found an area off the trail that was only slightly sloped...needless to say, I spent most of the night sliding to the bottom of the tent in my sleeping bag...

Despite the awkward night's sleep, we still awoke on Saturday morning feeling excited. We boiled some water for tea, ate some granola and blueberries, loaded up our backs with our belongings and set off for a full day of hiking the Appalachian Trail.




It was Awesome.

We camped again on Saturday night and hiked back out on Sunday, feeling reinvigorated, more connected to one another, appreciative of our time spent there, a bit sore and ready to face the kids and the world waiting for us at home. I only wish we could have brought along our camera...


I did, however, manage to pick up some wild flowers for the Princess at home; a magic forest sword (wooden stick) for the pirate at home; and of course small rocks for my collection in the garden...not too shabby.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Your blog smokes mine! Did you see any small woodland creatures? Is big foot real or just a made up story to scare away the Umpa Lumpas? Let me know what you found out.
Seriously, good stuff and I am glad you has some R&R......