Monday, August 18, 2008

Summer Food Indulging

One of my most favorite things about Summer is being able to use so many fresh ingrediants in our cooking. Today was one of those days where we were just all about creating new recipes and enjoying the fruit of our labor.



The kids and I had fun creating our own frozen fruit Popsicles (made with a secret GREEN juice blend including broccoli, spinach and wheatgerm...hahahahahah!!!!!).





Juliana helped by dropping the strawberries into the blender and Nate by pushing all of the necessary blending buttons (of course).

Later on, we concocted our own Smoked Chicken Risotto recipe, (with leftover smoked chicken from the night before) and I must say, it was quite a success! (Recipe will come later today)


In addition, part of our preparation for a week long trip to the Outer Banks in NC next week, included smoking twenty (that's right, I said 20!) pounds of Boston Pork Butt to freeze and serve up to the 22 people who will all be staying in one house together!

A total of 13 hours was needed to get it to be JUST right, and at 11 pm last night as Pete and I stuck our forks into the two "butts" to begin the shredding....we soon realized that it was definitely going to be well worth the long day! A half hour later, meat having fallen right off the bone like butter, barbecue sauce added, and pulled pork stored in zip lock bags, we fed some scraps to the dogs and headed off to bed- where we dreamed of savory pulled pork sandwiches!

All in all, I have to say it was a fun day filled with excellent food resulting in very satisfied bellies!
Happy Monday to everyone!

More later, Kate

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

you are amazing Kate! Teach me the ways of cooking :) I know Joe wishes I had that talent, I mean you can only feed someone mac n' cheese so many times before they hate it, ha ha. I think I am an OK cook, I just can't find the fun in it, i LOVE baking...wait a minute, cheese, chocolates, pastries, I think I know why I have gained so much weight! AAHHHHHHHHH had me some broccoli STAT!

kate said...

Liz- I think I was always intimidated by how difficukt something looked to make...but in reality, once I just learned to follow directions (and not take the short cuts I had always done) things got a whole easier and a whole lot tastier!!

I will hook you up with some yummy easier dinner ideas soon, I promise!!!
Kate