Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What's A Mom to do?


A desperate call to all mothers!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!


This was the scene as my 3-year-old left it a little while ago...a common occurrence around here these days. He eats next to nothing. In fact, I can probably list the things he'll eat on five fingers- here goes- eggs, peanut butter and jam, chicken nuggets, grape tomato's, hummm, this is tough- let's see, what else-oh cheese, of course! He is a huge cheese fan. And sometimes Ritz (whole wheat) crackers. Oh, and popcorn. Yup, that's about it. I have gone through almost every phase of what to do now? Cry- yup, lots of that. Tell him too bad, this is what's for dinner and if you don't eat it, oh well, nothing else. We've tried- you can have a brownie for dessert! Oh, yeah, I forgot to add brownie to the list (okay, okay, so it's more than five things, but you get the picture). And then I even tried my mom's suggestion of putting Splenda on the broccoli...it actually had the opposite effect- I told him if he ate it he could go outside and play and finally he told me he wanted one without the sugar on it....go figure.
Yes, we have played some pretty desperate games around here. And finally, as of late, I have given up the power struggle. And just continually give him new things and don't make a fuss about it...but then he doesn't eat them and later he's hungry and I am back in square one- do I send the poor boy to bed hungry or do I make him another peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

HELP!
And then this is his sister...just gobbling most anything down.

Although lately, she is starting to show symptoms of her brother's behavior.....oh what to do, really, help a girl out, will you!!!!!!????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister was a very picky eater when she was little so I asked my Mom for her advice. She said if he's not eating things he used to eat you should never give in and make him pb&j. When you make dinner be sure to have at least 1 thing you know he will eat. Also, don't fill a plate for him. Let him choose what he wants from the things you made. Hope this helps a little.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain -- both boys are doing this. Now that Christian is five he understands he has to take a bite of whatever it is he doesn't like (most anything). Most of the time they eat just a little for dinner and I try to be firm about not letting them eat anything else before bed. It's so tough. Good suggestions from Lisa Cooper -- I'll try giving one thing they do like and let them choose other stuff.

kate said...

Thanks to both Lisa and Elena for the great support! everyone keeps telling me that it is a phase, but with Nate is has been going on for about a year now!And it just keeps getting worse. I want to see it get better!

Lizzie said...

i have been lucky with both my minchkins, they love to eat. but there are things they don't enjoy. one thing that works around our house is letting them cook it with me. audrey doesn't like peas, but if i get her involved and make a big deal about how "Audrey made us all dinner, thank you girly!" she is so proud and will eat some. nate might also be like most men, once he thinks it's his idea then it's ok. good luck!