Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why We Love Country Life Blogs

What is it about the farm/country/upstate/downstate/rural/middle of nowhere/I grow all of my own vegetables, raise my own cattle (to eat), bake my own bread/buy everything in bulk because I live an hour away from town/home school my kiddos for the same reason/transform an old farmhouse into a stately manner, and always take amazing photos of my grand acreage, horses, birds, trees, weather and whatever else nature throws my way...BLOGS do we love so much?

It seems like every blogger I know has a link to PW...you all know who I'm talking about, The Pioneer Woman (duh)...we love her, we hate her, okay we don't really hate her we just wish we were her. But why? Is it that we secretly want to live out on a cattle ranch and eat cowboy food fare? I don't know about you, but I'm not terribly into the whole rural life and cattle everywhere thing...been there done a bit of that (Dudley, GA was rural enough for me!). I've ridden horses all of my life and while in Americorps had some experience herding elk, so it's not that I have anything against being around big animals or cleaning up after them. I just don't want to live the life...all the time.

But it doesn't mean I don't want to see it, hear about it, practically breath it, smell it, feel it, and live it occasionally through PW or a host of her other country-residing female contemporaries. I love that reading other people's blogs is like getting to live vicariously through them. What's not to love about getting an inside peek at the intimate details of a stranger's life? It's almost as good as reading a hard to put down novel!

Here are a few of the sites I check out to get my fix of country living...

Farm Girl Fare

The Country Doctor's Wife

The Pioneer Woman

Chronicles of A Country Girl

The Cotton Wife

Food, Fun and Farmlife in East Africa

And then I head back to my own reality...



Cleaning up the messes of a fairy princess and her brother....

Love, Kate

5 comments:

Jennifer Warthan said...

Thanks for linking to me! We love sharing our way of life with others. It certainly has it's downsides (depending on the weather, markets, etc) but I can't imagine living any other way.

I'm having a contest soon (today if I can get my act together!) - be sure to enter!

Jennifer Warthan said...

Um...make that *its* (not *it's*). The teacher in me is coming out! :D

kate said...

Thanks so much for your response! I really enjoyed finding your site and look forward to checking it out often!

Krista said...

Oh, but what a cute fairy princess she is! ;-)

Lizzie said...

i am right there with you, i love those kind of blogs too. it makes me long for simple slow times, but also grateful for city life :)