Monday, February 2, 2009

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life

I woke up this morning and the first thought that came to my mind was "this is the first day of the rest of your life." I know how cliche, and completely random. I have no idea why it came to mind, I hadn't heard it or read it recently, but there it was and I kept thinking about it all morning...

So I dedicate this post to a few of the things those words are beginning to mean to me.

At the beginning of the year I talked about wanting to make changes in my life. I have been feeling out of sorts, not really unhappy, but just kind of dull. With the craziness associated with our recent move pretty much behind us, I feel like it is time to begin focusing on what I want to change in my life.


1. I'm going to start running again...




This photo helps motivate me to remember why I love to run so much! Standing there with my mom, a breast cancer survivor, at the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure in Raleigh, NC last year, I remember thinking how good it felt to be alive. That day I saw so many people who had the names of those they were remembering on the backs of their shirts- some had as many as a dozen names...I remember feeling so thankful that instead, I was there to honor my mom and the fact that she was lucky enough to survive.

2. Pete and I decided that we are going to choose an event or place to visit at least two Saturdays a month.

Upon moving here we were so excited to be close to a city and have so much culture, education, arts, and leisure activities right at our fingertips, but we still have yet to take advantage of so much this area has to offer us!!! I did take the kids to the zoo on Friday! It was so much fun and the kids and I had a really memorable time!

3. Documenting more of our life.


Since we got our new camera, I have been more and more enthralled with taking pictures of everyday occurrences. I can't wait to sort them out, edit them, and put together a printed book of each year of our life as a family. This was the first time my children got to experience snow!! I will forever remember the look on their faces as the cold, tiny flakes touched their noses!

4. Volunteer and be ready to help others more, whether by giving a hand, lending an ear, or helping to make goals come to life.

This is Stephanie, I have written about her before. She is amazing and has left an incredible impact on my life. I want to become more involved with people who need a little help...it's amazing how humble I feel in their presence and blessed to have made any small difference in their life.

That's it for now....I'm sure there will be more! I hope this new year is finding you motivated to bring about positive changes in your life as well!

Love, Kate

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

yes. i have the "dull" going on here too. i know you can do all these things kate, you are so motivating :) good luck!