Friday, February 6, 2009

You Know my Husband is Away on Business When...

1. I buy frozen dinners for myself and feed the kids dreaded chicken nuggets just so I won't have to meal plan and wash pots and pans

2. I go to change the sheets after a few days and realize that the other two sets of sheets are still in the laundry pile, and I shrug it off, relieved at not having to go through the effort anyway.

3. I wake up in the middle of the night (every night) sure Ive heard someone in the kitchen when I've have never ever heard the noise when my husband was home

4. I start getting the kids into the bath at 7 pm and into bed at 7:45 just to have a little time to myself

5. I start venting to the dogs about the little annoying things in my day

6. I haven't ironed a thing in a week

7. I am running around like a crazy woman cleaning the entire house on Friday when it's usually spread out through the week

8. The kids and I eat dinner on stools at the counter with me going through the newspaper, Nate reading about pirates and Juliana flipping through the phone book!

4 comments:

Krista said...

My favorite was Juliana reading the phonebook. Maybe someday soon she'll actually be able to know what she's reading!

Maggie said...

I agree, Jules is probably READING the phonebook, and you just don't know it.

Momma said...

My husband is travelling internationally for 1 month. I have two daughters (10 months and 4years old). How do you cope with him being away? I just know I'll be beside myself in the evenings when I'd usually be waiting for him to come home.

kate said...

Hi Super Mom! I really feel for you, doing the whole parent thing alone (when we're used to acting as a team) is a real challenge. My husband has been away now for six consecutive weeks. I don't have any family nearby and we just moved to this new area a few months ago, so I am still working on establishing friendships with other moms. I would reccomend relying on family and friends if you have them nearby, if not, a babysitter every so often is a must so you do not lose your mind!

The evenings are the hardest, but try and do some different things- things that you don't normally do at that time of the evening with your husband, like take a walk with the kids or go watch a movie with a fun snack tray of veggies, dips, fruit, etc...instead of cooking dinner! I wish you lots of luck and even more patience!