Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Accepting the Energy Challenge


A few days ago, I posted about Al Gore's energy challenge and hope that many of you have had the opportunity to familiarize yourself with it. It is a huge challenge, one that I have begun to reflect upon seriously. How can I contribute? How can we all begin to contribute? In my research, it seems that the best role I can play is to help inform others. I can do this by calling my state representatives and asking them how they plan on making this challenge a realistic goal. I can and plan on writing a letter to the editor of our local paper and I aim to encourage other people, my friends, my family and my neighbors to educate themselves and to become involved in solving this crucial dilemma. The state of Texas just approved a $4.93 billion wind-powered transition project for a huge part of the state. This means that hundreds of thousands of people will be receiving their electricity through the use of wind. Wind is not only reliable, but it is also FREE!


Here is some more information gathered from the We campaign:


"He challenged America to generate 100% of our electricity from sources that do not lead to global warming -- and to do it within 10 years. Meeting this ambitious goal would create millions of new jobs, lead to permanently lower energy costs for families and help America lead the fight against global warming. Watch his powerful speech here.


John McCain couldn't ignore it, saying "if the Vice President says it's doable, I believe it's doable." And Barack Obama said, "I strongly agree with Vice President Gore that we cannot drill our way to energy independence, but must fast-track investments in renewable sources of energy like solar power, wind power and advanced biofuels."

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I am often curious what the feeling is on Nuclear Power these days. I know many dislike it due to not being informed and scared of the "Nuclear" title. But it doesn't produce any negative emissions during production. Obviously there is a major problem with what to do with the spent fuel. If you run across any articles on that website about Nuclear Power I'd love to read them, I looked and couldn't find any.

Goodness, I sound like my husband! Sorry :) Have a good day Kate and keep up the great work you are doing by educating people about this issue.