Sunday, July 6, 2008

Getting my Act Together!

We spent the Fourth at a friend's house in Macon and had an absolute blast! The kids swam like fish, all day long and Pete and I took turns relaxing and playing lifeguard to the kids. In the 6 hours that we were there, Nate went from wearing a swim suit padded with chest floatation's, (you'd have to see it to understand) to wearing arm floaters, to swimming on his own. Did I mention that he also learned to cannon Ball and DIVE! We may have a future Olympic Swimmer on our hands.

I spent most of last week in a state of blurred frustration at the mess I had created with my once fine tuned "routine." Being in a new season, not only weather wise, but also phase in the children's lives, I somehow lost my ground when it came to our daily schedule. When summer arrived and Nate's two days a week of preschool had ended, I was excited about having more time together. I envisioned countless summer afternoons spent working on arts and crafts projects, swimming in the kiddie pool and continuing the wonderful learning he had accomplished at the Children's Center. But then things changed. Juliana grew into a little person and started walking and talking, and talking, and talking...did I mention the talking? And Nate began peeing on the floor, (not all the time, I swear) and giving me a hard time about eating anything new. Kamilah (our Rhodesian Ridgeback) started digging a hole under the fence and having weekly adventures around the neighborhood. And I became a blogger! All of the sudden my wonderful cleaning routine, and daily schedule were becoming a hazzy blur. Things were getting out of control. I was dangerously close to loosing my mind, and yes, this was all only coming to a head last week.

Then, I decided that things around here had to get back in shape. I sat down with Pete (the ubber organizer in my life) and managed to create an awesome weekly schedule in Microsoft Office. I've (attempted) made room for everything from a block of "learning" time for the kids, to daily house cleaning, to an hour a day for my thesis....we'll see how it works. I will keep you posted! In the meanwhile, I am feeling good about getting back on track...now let's just all pray (really hard, please) that I stay there.

Love, Kate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how much Jules is talking when I see her next! Is your schedule working yet? Only 3 more days in Beijing...I'm sad, but happy to come home back to my routine! Talk to you soon.

Lizzie said...

mommy reality checks...We all need them from time to time. Good luck with the daily schedule. Let me know how it goes!

Oh by the way, i love that link to the one can a month challenge. i am going to try that out!!!