Monday, July 7, 2008

Fascinating!




This morning as I was working diligently on completing the tasks at hand on my NEW organized daily schedule, (I was making spinach infused Brownies for the kids....trust me, I know it sounds weird, we'll address this a little later) and I came across this on the plastic lid of the spinach container.





If you'll look at the image to the right, it says that the packaging used to make the plastic container was made from "all natural CORN."


Wow. I had no idea they could do something like this! Is this new? Is this more economically savvy? Why aren't more companies doing it? All of these thoughts went spinning through my mind.


So, I did a little research, and discovered, that yes, it is a great new product, but it has it's pluses and it's negatives. The best part about it is that it is made from corn, obviously a non-petroleum based product that is actually compostable! The bad- people who may not know any better are trying to recycle this product and it doesn't really recycle well, especially when mixed with all of the other oil-based plastics. So, although it's a great product for the environment, it may not be good for recyclers. Interesting. I am going to put this into my compost and see what happens!


On another note, my new routine is going well. I've had to tweak a few things already, but that is expected. We hooked it up to an old Palm Pilot, and I'll tell you, the thing really has me on my toes with all of the bells and alarms going off each hour! Have you completed this task yet? It practically yells at me...I'm right on it, I swear!


And just for fun....Here is my proud boy as he shows off his "Pizza Tower," of course coined after Daddy's reference to the "Leaning Tower of Pizza." Does it get any better then this?
Love, Kate

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I found a local coffee shop here in Hartsville that sells corn based plastic coffee mugs. I said the same thing "WHAT?!? How cool!" So i bought 2 :o) how did the brownies come out? i have that cook book (Deceptively Delicious, right?)in my kitchen collecting dust. Not cause I don't like it, it's because I am not gifted in the ways of culinary arts, ha ha.

Maggie said...

Love the tower. I'm glad that he has so many blocks that he can make cool things.
Maggie