Friday, January 30, 2009

Columbia Bloggers Right Up My Alley!

This morning, like all others this week, I woke up extra early to work on my thesis without distraction from the kiddos. Yet, it just wasn't in the stars today...Nate woke up not long after (at 6:05!) and Jules was up shortly thereafter....what's a mom to do? So instead of huffing and puffing about it, I accepted their company and decided to just get the day started. We ate breakfast, fed the dogs, and while they played with their kitchen set and watched "Clifford the Big Red Dog" I tried to get some work done.

The only problem is that I don't focus very well when there is any noise other than my fingertips typing away or any other ongoings in the same room as me...I know terribly inconvenient. I get too distracted, (if I ever went to the library in college it was simply to socialize as I never was able to get anything done!). So, I decided to stray and started researching things to do here in Columbia. I was so excited to find a few other blogs that are right up my alley!

I am really excited about one in particular as it seems we have a lot in common. The Columbia Foodie appears to represent so much of what I was hoping to find here in SC when we moved here a few months ago. Not only does she explore and write about some of the areas best and worst restaurants, she also focuses on healthy, sustainable eating, offering a wide variety of recipes and ideas to try at home. In addition, I was psyched to find a whole bunch of information about local (mind, body and soul) events like updates on local farmers markets, where to practice yoga for free on National Yoga Day, and inspiring ideas like volunteering at local organic farms. I love this blog!

Others I found included, Visit Columbia, where I can find a whole array of events going on in Columbia like the recent South Carolina Book Festival. I also found Live Columbia, which focuses on a promotion of city living. Despite my living in the burbs of Columbia, this site still offers great recommendations of things to do downtown.

And this last one, Columbia, SC Runner, is just one more motivator to get my lazy butt back running and into some area races (just for fun of course!).

Thanks for stopping by!
Kate

3 comments:

casey said...

Super cool that there is a Slow Food Community in Columbia! It is a huge success here and growing rapidly with more people aware of it everyday. It is such a great organization of individuals: gardeners, farmers, home cooks and chefs, just people who love and respect food. Check it out!

kate said...

Thanks for the response Casey! I am slowly but surley finding my way there and enjoying all that I am learning in the process!

Elena said...

That's great, Kate! Sounds like Columbia is a far more exciting and fulfilling place for you. That 'foodie' blog is right up your alley -- I noticed that one dream you have is culinary school. What could have turned out to be a frustrating morning turned out to be productive and fun instead. We miss you, too! Christian still asks about Nate.