Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gaining Perspective

How Kara and I usually communicate! (so nice to have her here in person!)


My sister Kara is here from NC visiting for a few days. Her arrival comes at the end of long string of family visitors over the past few weeks. Last week as we talked about her stay here, she asked, are you sure it won't be too much after having so many other people there before me? I really did think about it, but I also quickly responded no! I knew that Kara's visit would be different. Although I wanted the house to clean and presentable (this was her first time seeing it) I also felt a little more relaxed about it. Our first day was spent playing with the kids outside, her watching Nate and Jules for me so I could run an errand, and our visiting with a childhood friend. There was no pressure to run off and see the sights or keep every minute entertained. We just did what we did and it was great. We talked, I talked, and Kara did a great job listening.

Her presence here has also helped me to realize a bit more perspective on what I want and need to change in my life. In the past year she has mustered up so much enthusiasm and motivation to dedicate everything she has toward a major transition in her life, and from this, I take great strength and motivation toward my own actions of change. In the days and weeks to follow I will share some of these challenges and goals with you and hopefully we'll all be able to help each other!

Once again, happy new year....
Love, Kate

4 comments:

Maggie said...

It sounds like you two sisters are having a nice visit, and finding an even deeper relationship with one another. How nice to be able to be "looking up" to your younger sister. Love you both lots.

Elena said...

Hey, Kate -- great post, as always! I look forward to what you'll be sharing...I seem to be going through some of this myself, and it's always helpful to be around others who lift our mood and help us to gain perspective on our lives. I'm glad your sister came for a relaxing, fun visit. Take care, friend.

Lizzie said...

what a nice visit you 2 must have had. it is amazing how certain people in our lives can fit comfortably anywhere :) glad it was a wonderful holiday season for you guys

Anonymous said...

Again, it was a pleasure.
Thanks for sending this link again. seriously and finally I'm on here.