Thursday, January 8, 2009

Getting Them To Sleep!

Two weeks into the new year, and I am finally beginning to put into action some of the goals I am setting out to accomplish this year....

Perhaps ending all procrastination should be at the top of the list?

Seriously though, among the hundreds of goals on my list, two of the most important ones are getting my children to bed at a reasonable hour and then, THEN, getting them to sleep through the night- in their own beds.

If you are a first time mom with a baby, please read this carefully, I BEG OF YOU, do not give into your baby's every cry in the middle of the night, do not rock or nurse them to sleep, and by all means unless you are planning on doing the whole co-sleeping thing with your child (which I am not against if it works for you) then don't let them get used to having your warm snugly body next to them as the fall asleep and wake up throughout the night!

Yes, it is true, I did all of these things and worse I am sure with Nate. By the time we had Juliana I had learned a bit more and might I add, thank God! She slept like a dream for the first 18 months of her life, really.

Then I made a fatal error and encouraged Nate to head into Juliana's room in the middle of the night instead of mine and Pete's and sleep in the spare bed in there. This worked great for me, I had a brief hiatus from little taps on my shoulder from Nate at 1 then 2, 3, and 4 am asking if he could sleep with me. But you guessed it, my attempts to get Nate out of our bedroom only disrupted Juliana's once peaceful and non-dependant slumber. Before I knew it, Juliana needed someone next to her in the middle of the night to fall back asleep!

Then we moved, and blah, blah, blah, craziness set in and routines went out the door. Bath tonight? Ugh, too tired from unpacking, how about tomorrow morning? Naps occurred at noon and 5 pm on the couch, or in the car (it seems we were in the car all the time). Usual bedtime became 9 or even 9:30, sometimes 10 pm!!! I know, I know go ahead and open your mouth in shock at me.... I am a horrible mother.


But now things are settling down. The move and unpacking are behind us, the holidays are gone and alas, the last visiting relative headed home yesterday (until my mother visits in two weeks (which we are very excited about!!). So desperately craving routine we are....



My plan:

-Earlier dinner for the kids (even if it means the kids have to eat before Pete and I, as Pete might be working late)

-Bath time every night (I think it is relaxing for them and it is a good way for them to wind down- plus, who doesn't love kissing their child goodnight on the head and inhaling lavender or apples?)

-Story time every night -two books

-Bedtime for now 8:30 and eventually 8:00 pm.

We have been making a great effort over the past week or so now and so far things are going fairly well. I still have late night/early morning visitors (sometimes Nate, sometimes Jules) but I am hoping that in all good time, this too will change. Each time I get a nudge from the kids I get out of bed, pick them up, take them back upstairs, tuck them into bed, give a swift kiss and leave. (Okay, so this is my ideal plan- the real truth is that sometimes, just sometimes, I do lay down or sit with them for a quick minute or two...but I am working on it, I promise!!).

All in all, I am feeling better about this whole mess and hopefully, within a few months time we will all be sleeping through the night and feeling the benefits!!

Any recommendations for things that have worked for you and your children?

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

recommendations? no, you're doing awesome! our family had fallen into weird patterns from the move as well. the kids take turns sleeping in between joe and i. so i guess at least they aren't both in there at the same time. i will admit, it's all my fault. i love snuggling with them. i know it will be gone all to soon and they are so darn cute when they sleep! we are working on a better routine too. good luck, sounds like you have it under control (it is scary sometimes what you and i have in common, ha ha)

have a great afternoon!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I feel like I could have written that. I kept nodding my head as I read. Our son, 16 months old, also needs us to fall asleep and alas sleeps between us!! I know, I said I would never let that happen but...I was desperate for sleep, first it was just a few hours which turned into the entire night, and it is so cute, and he'll only be little for so long, yadda, yadda! Your success gives me hope!

Anonymous said...

Not sure when you started sleep training with Nate, but we started with Alexis at about 8 months. It took a little longer than we thought (almost 2 weeks) but she now sleeps from about 8pm-7am every night. It was hard not to rock her to sleep or pick her up when she cried, but I think it was worth it! Is there an age that Nate started coming into your room in the middle of the night? I want to prepare myself now, as it looks like she'll be walking in the next couple months and we are thinking of putting her in a toddler bed come summer.