Monday, January 12, 2009

Starting Over

At 34-years-old I can't help but feel as though the years are beginning to drift by faster and faster. In the past, moving to a new location always brought with it a feeling of adventure and excitement at all of the possibility surrounding a new community, activities and people yada, yada, yada. Don't get me wrong, this recent move was also full of adventure (in so many different ways...) but it's also gotten a bit more challenging- now that there were six of us to move (two kids, two dogs) and now that I am 34-years-old. Really, I'm just ready to stay someplace for the long haul now.

So, here I am, finally unpacked, becoming familiar with the area and looking to the next phase of settling in- meeting people.

I haven't ever had too much of a problem with this, but this time around it seems a little more challenging. I'm tired, and frankly, I just want to fast forward to sitting in my kitchen, glass of wine in hand, chit chatting with friends about our husbands or how frustrated we are about not having a finished thesis yet (okay, that would probably just be me...). Point being, it seems to get more and more difficult to meet people as you get older, unless you want to set up three play dates first, or think of excuses to knock on a neighbor's door.

It might have been easier for me to do this had I not HAD to practically charge through the door of a neighbor's house a while back.... Did I mention that I accidentally dropped a painting onto the pipe behind the toilet of one of the bathrooms a few weeks ago? Yes, I did. And did I forget to mention that it burst, and water (what seemed to be a million gallons a minute) began gushing out, and did I mention that I had no idea where the switch to the water main was located? So I, water soaked jeans, heart racing a million miles an hour, ran to her house barefoot, two toddlers in tow, water following me out the door, and frantically begged her to help me. She did, and all was fine again, but what a way to introduce myself....

By the way, I'm crazy Kate, your new neighbor, it's so nice to meet you! Would you like to come over for a glass of wine?

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

wow, it's like reading my own words (minus the crazy water soaked part, ha ha)

yeah this move with kids and dogs is not as "fun" as i remember moving being in the past. now it's: find new doctors, where's the schools? make sure everyone is taking it well, where's the nearest grocery store? rearranged sleep schedules... then try making friends?!?1 yeah sure, in my spae time

i met a mom at Zane's school who seems nice, but everyone seems more set in their ways as we get older. harder to be new and let into "the group"

everyone has been super nice out here in AZ (By the way, we'd LOVE you guys to visit!!!!) i pray you connect with someone soon, just remember i'm here. wine glass in hand (not now, it's way to early and a monday!)sending you happy thoughts :)

Anonymous said...

Hi silly lady of grace. I'm sure your neighbor has a good story to tell about how you all met and from there kinship will occur. Some things that always help me re-coop from a move are:

Check out the local Independent Newspaper in print or on-line regularlly for free events, art walks, tea rooms, environmental forums, speakers, jazz concerts, outdoor public events, volunteer opportunities (always a good one to meet people), getting active with the democratic campaign, (Krista and I did this in WS and me here and it was very friendly. Story time at the local library, classes with county run programs, going to yoga classes....

hope that helps and stay positive, like thinking this: I want to have 3 new friends in my life by February 15th- goals always help things as does intention and manifestation.

Thanks!