Saturday, January 24, 2009

Learning About Sustainability Through Friendship


Yesterday, I was feeling a bit out of sorts, I still had the remnants of a head cold and my thoughts were blurry, and my body still achy. I couldn't accomplish much and was feeling guilty about it. I decided to push on and take the kids outside to play and instantly felt better. It really is amazing how a little fresh air can make all the difference. Then I went to get the mail and found something from my good friend, Casey, (my best friend while growing up in Maine, whom I mentioned a few posts ago). Knowing about my recent quest to learn more about and practice sustainable living, she had taken the time to cut out a newspaper article regarding an extraordinary bakery near her home. Although the shop, Beach Pea Bakery, specializes in an assortment of breads, cakes, sweets and sandwiches and is well known for all of these, the article focused on a different topic. Instead, it brought to light the incredible achievements of the bussiness's green restauranteering and commitment to sustainability. By simply making an all out effort to buy their supplies locally, compost 100% of their food waste, use alternative packaging of all sorts (made from corn or potatos) and a whole plethera of other green methods. I was both astonished and greatly impressed by the dedication of the bakery's owners to maintain such a high quality and Eco-friendly establishment. Through their efforts they also encourage and educate customers and suppliers alike to not only pursue the same way of life, but to expect it.

Two thoughts began to weigh on my mind.

1. I was so touched by Casey's thoughtfulness to help continue to educate and motivate me about sustainability....

2. I couldn't help but begin to think that if this bussiness could overcome the challenges associated with living greener, and surge ahead despite them, then certainly my family could as well.

So, thanks again, Casey, you really made my day!

1 comment:

casey said...

hey Kate! So stoked that you enjoyed that article! That bakery is really amazing! I hope they inspire other business and families as well! We actually have quite a green movement up here in Seacoast NH and So. ME... I'll keep you posted on other things going on- hope everyone feels better soon- I just got over that nasty cold myself